Saturday, September 11, 2010

Elephant Stew

A short while back, I was living in the beautiful NW Pacific Mountain Town of Sandy, Oregon. I had an a amazing view of Mount Hood from the front porch and an awesome creek with Salmon running twice a year in the back yard. Truly, it is an amazing place. www.mounthood.org. I recieved a call from one of my family members telling me to come home, there's been a family emergency and you need to be here.
So, bags packed, cabin locked up and a new adventure coming at me head on, off I went, back down to the bayou's of South West Louisiana. I won't go into details about the family emergency suffice to say that the crissis is over and I'm still here. The life blood of cajun country surging through my bones, I had forgoten, having been away from here for twenty five years, just how much I loved this place, the people, culture, food, music and lifestyle.

With that being said, I was rummaging through some of my moms old cook books looking for something cajun to cook and found an old book called, "The Boudreaux and Thibideaux Origional Joke Book", It's an oldie alright, published back in 1964, it's probably out of print by now. If you can find it, get it! Like a bumb bunny, I gave my copy to a friend of mine back in Oregon, I should have kept it, but my friends Dale and Karen really love to hear the cajun stories I used to tell, sitting aroung the mountain side campfire and so, I gifted it.

The book is not only full of hillarious cajun jokes, it also has some awesome cajun recipes. The one I remember most though, was Creole Elephant Stew! Now this is from memory so the proportions might need to be tweeked a bit. It calls for, of all things, One medium sized elephant. Now that's gonna be kind of hard to come by in SW Louisiana, the closest place to find one is probably going to be the Lafayette Municipal Zoo, and even then it's probably subject to availability. Them cajuns will eat anything, eh shy?

So here we go: To start, you will need.
1. One Medium size Elephant
2. 150 lbs Onion
3. 80 lbs Garlic
4. 100 lbs celery
5. Creole seasoning to taste.
6. Two rabbits.

This is gonna feed a lot of people, about 650, so only make this when you're gonna have a heck of a party. Maybe the next Saints Supper Bowl! Cut the Elephant into bite size pieces, this should take you about six weeks! Dice up the onions, garlic and celery into small bits. Again, this will take about another three weeks. It's a lot of vegetables! Put everything into a big ole pot, one big enough to be able to cover the dish with sauce, (Roux), season with creole seasoning to taste and cover and simmer until tender. Again, this will probably take about two to three weeks.
That was easy, now this recipe will feed about 650 people. If you plan on having more guests than that, well, then add the two rabbits. That should take care of the extra mouths to feed. I caution you to be carefull when adding those rabbits, Nobody likes to find a hare in their stew!
Ha Ha Ha, Gotcha!

Dave
www.mikeraymarketing.dealcenter.us

No comments:

Post a Comment